Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Introduction to Noboribetsu

Seino-san picked me up from the bus station and as I yet had time before needing to check into my hotel, we drove to the Noboribetsu onsen (hot-spring) area and around the mountains there. The area is famous for natural hot springs created by volcanic activity. In particular, there is a beautiful valley where hot water warmed by lava underground bubbles to the surface over black sand, geysers used to shoot up (although not anymore since the source has been tapped for hotel spas), and steam rises above the red cliffs and trees. This valley is called Jigokutani, or “hell valley” and the mascot of Noboribetsu Onsen had become the king of hell, a little red cartoon demon.


Afterwards, I went to meet Yokoyama-san, the curator of the Chiri Yukie Memorial Museum (my other contact through Professor Strong’s connections) and to check into my hotel spa (where I enjoyed a long, hot bath before turning in for the night).

No comments:

Post a Comment