Monday, May 21, 2012

Taking it slow today...

Made my flight and arrived safely at Chitose Airport around 12:00pm, where I hopped on an express train to Sapporo Station. From there, I made my way to my business hotel to check in and drop off my luggage.

I went out to do a little sight-seeing in the afternoon. However, I am coming off of a hectic weekend and recovering from a cold with medicine that makes me drowsy, so I plan to call it an early night and did not get to as many sightseeing places as I might otherwise have had time for. Despite being tired, I did get to see the Sapporo Clock Tower, Odori Park, and the Sapporo TV Tower today. I am planning to see a few more sights before heading to Noboribetsu in the afternoon on the 23rd.



The rest of the evening will be spent relaxing, planning the next few days of my trip, and preparing for my day of research tomorrow at the Hokkaido University Library Northern Studies Collection. There is one book in particular, containing two Ainu chants transcribed into romanji by Chiri Yukie and translated into Japanese by Haginaka Mie, that I would like to get my hands on. If I can get copies of these two translated myths (narrated by a sea eagle and a red-capped crane), I hope to make them the focus of my thesis. Other than that, I am just looking for any good background texts on local Ainu culture, geography, customs, etc.

Well that's all for tonight. Off to do some library catalogue searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment